About the Cornell University Geospatial Information Repository (CUGIR)
CUGIR is an active online data and metadata repository and a participating node in the National Spatial Data Infrastructure program. CUGIR provides open and free access to geospatial data and metadata for New York State, with special emphasis on natural features relevant to agriculture, ecology, natural resources, and human-environment interactions. Subjects such as landforms and topography, soils, hydrology, environmental hazards, agricultural activities, wildlife and natural resource management are appropriate for inclusion in the CUGIR catalog. All data files are cataloged in accordance with FGDC standards and made available in widely used geospatial data formats.
To find additional geospatial data for New York State, see also:
- New York State GIS Clearinghouse
- New York Ocean and Great Lakes Atlas
- Mann Library's Selected GIS Data Sources
CUGIR 2.0 Release
With the release of CUGIR 2.0 (in February 2006) we updated the interface and added some important new functionality for users. We encourage you to send us feedback on the new site.
New Features in CUGIR 2.0
- New look to the interface.
- Simplified navigation.
- New or improved image maps with zoom capability for graphically selecting a geographic area of interest for the following spatial series: NY counties, 7.5 minute quads, 1x2 degree quads, and large scale watersheds.
- Announcements of new and updated data on the CUGIR home page, available as an RSS feed.
- "More information" page available for each dataset. Our hope is this summary information will help users quickly assess whether a dataset meets their needs, but users should still make a practice of reviewing the full metadata before using any datasets.
- More comprehensive cross-referencing between mapsheets.
- A data "basket" and the option to select multiple datasets for a single download.
- A new data management policy.
CUGIR Collection Development Policy
Our collection development policy (PDF) describes the principles, subject scope, geographic scope, temporal scope, and data types encompassed in CUGIR. If you have developed data for New York State that meet these guidelines, or would like to suggest additional datasets for inclusion in CUGIR, please contact us.
CUGIR Data Management Policy
In an effort to better manage the data within CUGIR, and to better communicate our data management procedures and policies to our data partners, we've drafted a data management policy (PDF) and security assessment procedure (PDF).
- Adirondack Park Agency | data in CUGIR
- AWS Truewind | data in CUGIR
- Cayuga Lake Watershed Network | data in CUGIR
- Cornell Department of Natural Resources | data in CUGIR
- Cornell University | data in CUGIR
- Hudson River Estuary Program | data in CUGIR
- Lake Ontario Biocomplexity Project | data in CUGIR
- Multi-Resolution Land Characteristics Consortium | data in CUGIR
- National Atlas | data in CUGIR
- New York State Water Resources Institute | data in CUGIR
- NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets | data in CUGIR
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation | data in CUGIR
- Tompkins County ITS/GIS | data in CUGIR
- U.S. Census Bureau | data in CUGIR
- U.S. Geological Survey | data in CUGIR
- USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service | data in CUGIR
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service | data in CUGIR
|Current work group members||Role in project|
|Keith Jenkins||GIS/Geospatial Applications Librarian|
|Tom Ottaviano||Business and Economics Librarian|
|Jeff Piestrak||Computer Support Specialist|
|CUGIR alumni||Role in project|
|Kathy Chiang||Head of Public Services|
|Michael Cook||Collection Development consultation|
|Philip Herold||Public Services Librarian|
|Nan Hyland||Public Services Librarian|
|Lee LaFleur||Collection Development Librarian|
|Jaime Martindale||GIS and Spatial Data Librarian|
|Gail Steinhart||Research Data/Environmental Sciences Librarian|
|Tom Turner||Metadata Librarian|
|Bill Walter||Collection Development consultation|
|Elaine Westbrooks||Metadata Librarian|